Prostitution is a crime where a person performs sexual acts for money. This crime can involve paying or requesting money in return for sex. Soliciting acts of prostitution is also illegal in Ohio. Generally, solicitation looks like a female prostitute attempting to lure in a male client, but the crime can be between same sex genders as well. For both of these cases, the act is illegal and holds severe penalties. The statutes for solicitation and prostitution sex crimes can be found in the Ohio Rev. Code Title 2907 Section 27. The crimes are categorized as either compelling or promoting prostitution. If you have been charged with either of these crimes, contact a Columbus criminal lawyer from The Meranda Law Firm LTD.
Compelling prostitution involves a person committing any of these acts:
- Compelling someone to engage in sexual activities for hire
- Encouraging a minor to engage in sexual activities for hire
- Agreeing to pay a minor to engage in sexual activities
- Paying a minor for having engaged in sexual activities
- As a parent or guardian of a minor, allowing the minor to engage in sexual activities for hire
Promoting prostitution occurs if a person knowingly:
- Establishes or maintains a brothel
- Has an interest in having a brothel
- Supervises or controls a prostitute engaging in sexual activities for hire
- Transports someone into or out of the state to engage in sexual activities for hire
- Persuades another person to engage in sexual activities for hire
The penalties for these types of crimes are harsh, compelling prostitution is a 3rd degree felony punishable by between one and five years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. There are several factors that could aggravate this offense and lead to harsher penalties. Promoting prostitution is a 4th degree felony punishable by between six and eighteen months in prison and a fine of up to $5,000. For assistance in your prostitution case, you need the help of a Columbus criminal attorney who is familiar with this criminal process. Contact The Meranda Law Firm LTD today to schedule a free case evaluation.