The penalties for drug crimes in Ohio vary depending on the amount of drug, the type of drug, the criminal history of the defendant, and the action occurring with the drugs. The various drug crimes include: drug possession, drug distribution, drug trafficking, drug cultivation and drug paraphernalia. The penalties for possession of drugs vary according to the drug that is found in possession. The different charges are broken down in the following way:
Drug possession/ Cultivation:
- Marijuana: misdemeanor if under 200g punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a maximum fine up to $250. Felony if more than 200g and punishable by six months to eight years in jail and a fine between $2,500- $15,000
- Concentrated drugs: misdemeanor if less than 10g solid or 2g liquid and punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a $250 fine. Felony if more than that and it is punishable by three to eight years in jail and a fine between $2,500-$15,000
Drug Distribution/ Trafficking:
- Less than 20g: misdemeanor with a fine of $150
- Between 20-200g: felony punishable by one year in jail and a $500 fine
- 200-1000g: felony punishable by six months to 1.5 years in jail and a maximum fine of $2,500
- More than 1000g: felony punishable by one to five years in jail and a maximum fine of $2,500
- 20,000-40,000g: felony punishable by a minimum of five years and up to eight years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500
- More than 40,000g: felony punishable by a minimum of eight years in prison and a fine of $2,500
- Possession of paraphernalia: misdemeanor with a fine of up to $150
- Sale of paraphernalia: misdemeanor punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a maximum fine of $750
Drug convictions in Ohio can result in a loss of driving privileges as well. The amount of time could be anywhere from six months to five years depending on the conviction. The penalties for drug crimes in Ohio are strict and there is a lot at stake when facing any of these charges. In order to protect yourself from a tainted criminal record, jail time and large fines team up with a Columbus criminal attorney who has experience representing defendants for drug charges.
Searching for an attorney for your drug crime case in Columbus, OH? Contact The Meranda Law Firm LTD and speak with a qualified criminal defense attorney. Our firm has had countless cases of success in getting our client's charges dismissed or reduced to a more favorable settlement. Do not try to fight against your drug charges alone have knowledge on your side by calling our firm today!
- Penalties of Felony OVI-§ 4511.19(A) & (G)
- Blood Sample Usage in OVI Cases Gets Revised by Ohio Supreme Court
- OVI & Possession of Heroin
- Trace Amount of Drugs in Your System
- Ohio Drug Classifcations Schedules
- Steps of the Criminal Process
Want to know more? We're Available 24/7!
Contact Us at (614) 707-4239
Consultations are FREE!
15+ Years of Experience! -- View our Attorney Profiles
Se habla Español